Today, the Internet has become an indispensable part of today’s modern life, most people own one or more devices such as PCs, laptops, tablets and phones.
And surely many of you when accessing the Internet to see technology news will often encounter terms such as IP, Fake IP, etc … and will have questions what is IP? This article will synthesize personal information and knowledge to help you understand IP address?
What is an IP address?
IP (Internet Protocol) address, also known as Internet protocol address, is some of the most popular network hardware identifiers today. You can understand more simply, it is similar to the home address or For businesses, each network device will have a different IP address.
Features of IP address?
The IP address will be divided into 4 numbers, limited from 0 – 255, where each number will be stored by 1 Byte. There are 4 basic and most popular types of IP address today:
1. IP Private
As the type of IP address that works in your home network, it provides an address so that your computer can connect to the router (also known as a wifi router, network adapter). You can set your private IP address or set it up by default by the router automatically.
2. IP Public
This is a protocol that helps your devices connect to the Internet, access a website or communicate with someone else’s computer via another internal network.
3. IP Static
It is the type of IP address you can manually set and change.
4. IP Dynamic
In contrast to a static IP address, you can not change its IP address but will be installed by default by a certain network.
An IP address is divided into 2 parts:
- NetworkID: The first 3 sets of IP address are used to determine the type of network that the device is connecting to.
- HostID: It is the last set of numbers in the IP address, used to determine the address of the device (such as home address)
What is Subnet Mask?
It can be understood as a Subnet Mask as an IP address where it specifies how two machines can communicate with each other, divided into 2 partitions, the left area contains bits 1 and the right is bit 0. This means that the IP addresses are located in bit 1 area of the Subnet Mask called network of that address, the right part corresponds to bit 0 called HostID.
For example, with the network IP address 192.168.1.23, there will be a Subnet Mask as follows: 255.255.255.0
There are 3 types of Subnet Mask:
- 255.0.0.0: for class A network addresses, a network address reserved for large organizations in the world.
- 255.255.0.0: for class B network addresses, which is a network address for middle-class organizations in the world
- 255.255.255.0: for class C network addresses, a network address for network organizations, the user’s personal computers.
IP addresses have 2 versions that are IPv4 and IPv6
IPv4: As an old version of IP address, it provides more than 4 billion Internet IP addresses to users, but nowadays due to the continuous development of IP address, IPv4 address does not provide enough number for users, So this is the reason that IPv6 was born.
For example: 188.8.131.52, 192.168.1.1
IPv6: A newer and most commonly used version today, supporting more than 340 trillion trillions of internet addresses for users, with such a large number everyone around the world can connect. with billions of internet devices without the fear of running out of resources.
Example: 3ffe: 1900: 4545: 3: 200: f8ff: fe21: 67cf
How to find the IP address?
For internal ip addresses (private IP), you follow the instructions below.
Open Command Prompt -> Enter the following command to see your IP address.
For Linux operating system, you open the Terminal window -> Enter the command “hostname -I” -> Then enter: “ipconfig“.
The Pros and Cons of IP address
- Is a connection protocol that makes it possible to access the internet as well as chat through IP addresses.
- Making internet access easier and managing a user’s network simpler when each computer or device has a separate IP address.
- Is an outstanding development of the network technology industry.
- It is easy to exploit personal information via IP address if it is hacked or intruded by hackers
- Any access activity will have its IP address logged.
Thank you for watching this article of mine, above are the basic concepts of IP addresses as well as knowledge surrounding IP. In case you have any other questions related to this, please leave a comment for yourself in the comments below!